Daily Update – Sep 13, 2020: Another day, another app distribution issue.
Still fighting with electron auto updates. At first I tried the hosted version of https://github.com/vercel/hazel. Which has a free tier, but since I’m using a github organization, that was out. The cheaper plan was way to expensive, and embedded their name in my app. So that is out.
Currently trying out. https://github.com/electron/update-electron-app which seems to be simpler. The main issue is that it requires your releases page to be an open source project. So I created a new repo just for releases.
We discussed Y-Combinator, and decided we might as well apply, and see how the remote flow is.
I would really like to finish the electron auto updates. The main bummer is that it doesn’t work for linux. For now, i am going to leave it, and see if I can just prompt the user to get the new AppImage/deb/rpm.
Lots of research about the benefits of accelerators.
We have some copy from our research the other day. Today might be the day to update the site with some fresh copy, and some new images.
Whats on our minds
- Y-Combinator is accepting applications. But since I don’t have a full time co-founder, this might be tough. Traditional VC doesn’t like single founders that much. I have been thinking about some old aquantances who might be a good fit for a business oriented co-founder.
The featured image for today is a set of little barrels Malia made for our friend who we have been playing Gloomhaven with.
This is a series of daily updates from Tengable. Every work day* we’ll publish an update on:
- What we did yesterday, and what went wrong.
- What we want to do today.
- What is on our minds today. Usually relating to Tengable.com, or technology.
*Every Work Day – At Tengable official work days are: Thursday – Sunday. Because Malia works at a winery, she gets Monday – Wednesday off. So I match those days, so we can spend time together. Although, I am often working Monday- Wednesday as well, but it’s not guaranteed.
- Daily Update – Sep 18, 2020: Migrations, Dev Setup, Docs, internet outage
- Daily Update – Sep 17, 2020: Code signing and bug fixes
- Daily Update – Sep 14, 2020: Downloads and Jitsi
- Daily Update – Sep 13, 2020: Another day, another app distribution issue.
- Daily Update – Sep 12, 2020: Docker on OSX and accelerators