Daily Update – Sep 10, 2020: Competition, copy, and the cake is a pie!
This is a series of daily updates from Tengable. Every work day* we’ll publish an update on:
- What we did yesterday, and what went wrong.
- What we want to do today.
- What is on our minds today. Usually relating to Tengable.com, or technology.
Sunday was a day of CI optimization, combined with app deployment. Working on the CI is very time consuming, and took most of the day. On the bright side, now we can be confident that each build will fail fast or deploy successfully.
Thanks to nx.dev, CI only deploys or builds apps (back end, front end, and desktop apps) when they change.
Over our midweek weekend, I got in touch with a reddit user DrSledgeHammer1 who going to help with some of the website copy on tengable.com. Based on the initial drafts, this seems to be a very positive step.
With the newly created desktop apps, comes several new bugs. These bugs need to be worked out before the apps can be launched.
- Tray Icon size on mac is FUBAR
- No testing has been done on windows
- if the tray icon is on the bottom of the screen (like windows), the window appears in a strange place.
Whats on our minds
- Since we have competition that has launched relatively recently, we are no longer the first mover. While it is a bummer to lose that, and see that there is another player coming into the space, we believe our execution and take will be much better. Our competition is also very expensive, and since our app is mainly peer to peer, we believe we can significantly undercut them, while still maintaining a very healthy profit. They appear to be well funded, which may change our calculations on ideas around fund raising.
Today’s Featured photo is “The cake is a pie”. Yesterday was my birthday, and we celebrated with a custom cake made by one of my best friends.
I was a huge portal fan, and this cake is a throwback to those days. In portal, scrawled across random walls was the phase: “the cake is a lie”. In this case, the cake has two pies baked inside of it. So, in addition to being a lie, the cake is a pie.
*Every Work Day – At Tengable official work days are: Thursday – Sunday. Because Malia works at a winery, she gets Monday – Wednesday off. So I match those days, so we can spend time together. Although, I am often working Monday- Wednesday as well, but it’s not guaranteed.
- Daily Update – Sep 18, 2020: Migrations, Dev Setup, Docs, internet outage
- Daily Update – Sep 17, 2020: Code signing and bug fixes
- Daily Update – Sep 14, 2020: Downloads and Jitsi
- Daily Update – Sep 13, 2020: Another day, another app distribution issue.
- Daily Update – Sep 12, 2020: Docker on OSX and accelerators